Thursday, October 18, 2012

If I Could Save Time in a Bottle

I woke up at 6:00 this morning and was in the throes of a nocturnal panic attack. I don't know how or why they start while I'm sleeping, and doctors don't either. That's neither here nor there, though. As my lungs struggled to take in air and my mind raced, I thought about my children. I thought about how incredibly fast time goes, and how precious this time is. I thought about how my big kids are truly that, first graders who are seemingly needing me less and less all the time. My little guy is a year and a half old, and more and more of the baby in him slips away each day. My three little bears, my heart, my life. Time just slips through my fingers and it's a battle to make each moment count.

So, though I have a mountain of homework and housework and my job and so on and so forth, today we will be making something together, reading something together, and just plain playing together and having fun. Each and every day, my husband and I tell our children how much we love them, how proud of them we are, and that they are the most important people in the world to us, and they always will be, no matter what. Today, I want them to see that in action. No school due to conferences for the big ones, so we'll start with an all day pajama party, and on this cold and dreary day, we'll make some family memories. My husband and I both fondly remember snow days and hot chocolate and cookies and family game nights with our own parents and brothers. These are the warm fuzzies--the cup of tea and good book, wrapped in a warm blanket with nowhere else to be and nothing else to do, kind of memories.

These are the kind of days that live in our hearts.

2 comments:

  1. Perfect! Did your husband tell you that the rule of the house on snow days was NO HOUSEWORK? Except, of course, for shoveling snow.... and remind him that I still hold the house Trivial Pursuit championship!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, he's aware, and very, very bitter! He still claims you're a cheater! Such a poor loser! ;)

    ReplyDelete